Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Training While Pregnant

Well, it's been a few months since I posted an update, but it's been with good reason. In February my husband and I found out we were pregnant and it's been a roller coaster ever since.

Have I still be training -- yes, but the training changes month-to-month. How has my training changed? I still train at the dojo 2-3 times a week, but the training looks a little bit different these days.

-- As soon as I found out I was pregnant -- I discontinued doing rolls and falls in Jujitsu. My role in Jujitsu became less working out and more assisting in instruction. Which is fine. I've learned so much just by teaching over these last few months
-- I still participate in the karate class working out -- unless there is a chance for contact -- i.e. sparring. I try and do as much as I can without raising my heart rate above 170, decreasing oxygen in take and becoming dehydrated -- all huge no no's while pregnant.
-- during our special Friday sessions -- I've taken to working on arts/techniques that tend to be more focus driven. Karate Kata and Iai.

Why am I still in class when so many other women take a break as soon as they find out they are pregnant? For me martial arts is part of my life, just as the pregnancy and the new baby to be will be. I don't see them as mutually exclusive -- but as things that can coexist with a little adaptation. I believe it's healthy to keep moving while you're pregnant -- it's not a disease after all. And I believe that women have been having babies for thousands of years, and I doubt most of them just sat on their rear ends when they found out they were pregnant.

Will I slow down training as I move further along in the pregnancy? Of course. I will probably cut down on the time training as I move into the later parts of pregnancy. But I rather look forward to working on balance when I have a belly 5 times it's normal size. It sounds like a great challenge after all!

Does it make it uncomfortable for the other students? I think yes, for some -- who don't like the idea of working with me in case they hurt me. That's to be expected. But at the same time -- it requires an extra level of focus and attention from them to make sure that they are doing things properly -- maybe not something they're used to.

Was all of this discussed with my Sensei when I first found out I was pregnant? Of course. It was he who also encouraged me to remain in the class and modify what I am able and not able to do. Do the other students know what to do with me? Some yes, some no -- but it's fun watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment